Pages

Monday, December 11, 2006

Carpet Cleaning Thought: Alzheimer's and blogging

My job at times entails performing carpet cleaning services. Carpet cleaning, for those who have never done it, is a monotonous, boring, repetitive task. Once you get the hang of it, you can just kind of wander into your own mind and think about whatever the hell you want. This is one of those thoughts.

THE MOST UPDATED BLOG EVER

I was thinking, today, as I was cleaning carpet, that blogging may be an effective way to help people with Alzheimer’s. I figured that any old gal or chap could constantly just read what they had posted to remind themselves of who they were and what was going on around them. I considered myself quite a social dynamo, and felt that I had solved a terrible, terrible problem.

Upon further reflection, however, I have decided that I am an idiot. For the first three to ten posts, yes, this idea may work. Beyond that, however, the person would have to start reposting the first post to remind him or herself what he or she had just read or typed. This would create a cycle of at most 10 posts, but that number would decrease to fractions of posts as the Alzheimer’s got more severe. And then there’s the fact that the person would have to constantly stay on at the site since they would forget to go back to the computer if they left. So, this obviously wouldn’t work for the victim of the disease. But then I started wondering if the blog of an Alzheimer’s patient would be interesting and if I would read it. I’d probably give it a glance over once, because it would be interesting, but then would regret it because of how goddamn depressing it would be to actually see someone’s mind deteriorate until the point of mush, until all I’d be reading is three unrelated words posted over and over again. Thanks, but no thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment